Amazon Echo™ (Alexa™) is not Controlling my American Standard® Home Device - Basic Troubleshooting if Alexa Fails to Control Your Device
Alexa App Issues
- Confirm you have the latest Alexa app software.
- The app version will vary with device and device type. It is advised that you check the Google Play™ Store (Android™ users) or the Apple® App Store® (iOS users) and confirm there are no updates currently available.
- Amazon support for all Alexa devices, including checking and upgrading the device and app software, is here: Amazon Alexa Devices Help
- Multiple Smart Home Systems
- Verify there are no other Smart Home system Skills connected to the Alexa app.
- Disable all other Smart Home system Skills
- Enable the American Standard® Home Skill and confirm it is working correctly (ask it to set the temperature)
- Re-enable the other Smart Home systems and test them
Fails to Control Devices
- Test Alexa functionality and WiFi connection by asking it to check the weather
- Try pausing before stating the final action, i.e: "Alexa" (pause) "Set the bedroom thermostat to 72 degrees".
- Verify device names are limited to one or two words. Other things that can cause vocal command errors:
- Special characters
- Enunciate commands clearly and slowly.
- Open the Alexa app and review recent commands. This may reveal language or interpretation issues such as "Turn the fan to high" being misheard as " Turn the fanta high."
- The Playback button is available as well to assist with troubleshooting this.
- If this still does not resolve the issue, please contact American Standard Home Customer Support.
- Test both devices individually. If either of the following tests fails, follow appropriate troubleshooting for network connections.
- American Standard Home: Using the AS Air Home app or web portal, attempt to interact with one of your devices, i.e. dim a light or turn the heater on/off.
- Amazon Alexa device: Ask the weather
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact American Standard Home Customer Support via email at email@example.com or call 1-877-374-0697, Monday-Friday 9 AM – 8 PM ET, and Saturday 10 AM – 5 PM ET.